Book Reviews

Mr Darcy takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll

Mr Darcy takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll tells the story of Elizabeth and Darcy where Pride and Prejudice left off; at the wedding.

A word of caution however: the novel clearly states its intention to write what Jane Austen would NOT have written. That’s right, the spicy bits. You have been warned.

The narrative gets off to a good start, since who hasn’t wondered about Elizabeth’s and Darcy’s honeymoon, but soon becomes a bit melodramatic for my taste. The Darcy’s romping sex life takes up nearly 90% of the book – many might consider that a good thing! The other 10% is taken up with numerous adventures including bandits, near rapes, mysterious bastard sons and mistresses.

Not Miss Austen, indeed!

Nevertheless, the novel does a good job of transitioning from the romance of Pride and Prejudice to the reality of marriage. When things get rocky (and they do), Elizabeth having learnt the lessons of Pride and Prejudice is ready to accept blame regardless of actual fault, whereas Darcy’s stoic, arrogant demeanor edges slightly to meanness on occasion.

An enjoyable read, but ultimately I was looking for something a little more Austen, a little less Regency erotica.

Melanie Ryan
Program & Communications

Mr Darcy takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll

When you join SMSA as member, you get a wide range of benefits.

Access to the SMSA Library

We are home to a unique collection of books, a highlight being our Mystery and Crime section.

Able to borrow from the Tom Keneally Centre

We are honoured to be the home of Tom Keneally’s personal collection of books, many of which have been used as research for his own works.

Access to member only events

Join a members group, share your passions, learn new skills, make new friends and get involved.

Access to member only activities such as members groups

We provide a variety of member only events, these are relaxed social occasions to have fun and make new friends.

Join as a Member

Subscribe to stay up-to-date